New York

I remember going to New York City while on one of our trips back east. We saw the Empire State Building and took the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty where we went inside and climbed a narrow spiral staircase. I had my first kraut dog while sitting on an outside bench of the Staten Island Ferry because dad said that's what people eat while in New York. A New York Dog he called it - a beef hot dog in a bun with mustard and sauerkraut piled on top. I was especially impressed with an Automat that we walked past while downtown. I think the Automat was an east coast thing because I don't ever remember seeing one again. It was a place where food, already prepared and ready to eat, and drinks were served completely by vending machines. I remember looking through the big storefront window at a large wall full of machines. People were coming in for lunch, depositing coins and then sliding glass doors open to get sandwiches, meals and pieces of pie. Funny . . . I specifically remember the pie.