1875 Shattuck Place

Our family moved from Downey to the city of Orange in 1964 when I was seven years old and in first grade. My mother was having another baby and we needed a larger house. A two-story home with five-bedrooms and three-baths, this house provided enough room for a family with six children and it was my home until I married in 1975. Tugboat is one of my most vivid memories of the Shattuck house. He was the cookie jar that sat on top of the refrigerator in the kitchen and held matchbooks safely out of reach. I think my brother, Hal, has our original Tugboat but Warren and I found one quite by accident at an antique store on Glassell down by the Orange Circle in 2001 and he surprised me by going back to purchase it without my knowledge. He paid $63 for it but the childhood memories it evokes each time I look at it are priceless. By the way, it holds our matchbooks.